Following up on our recent CCT Food Cultures event at Focal Point Gallery, CCT/Cultural Engine/UEL and a number of significant community groups met at Southend Borough Council yesterday to propose the Southend Food Plan. Here are the 10 agreed objectives.
Next meeting is in Oct – get in touch if you feel you can contribute to any of the areas of interest.
A Food Plan for Southend:
- Form a Southend Food Partnership to increase levels of collaboration, sharing of resources, knowledge and experience
- Join the Sustainable Food Cities movement
- Work towards the eradication of food poverty
- Influence Public Health – increase a broader perception of Food as Culture. Aim to reduce obesity and diet-related ill health through re-examining relationships with food and how to improve them
- Bring people together through food projects – collaborative cooking in communities, and creating links between cooking and growing schemes
- Support community growing projects and use of the wild harvest
- Develop an inclusive, vibrant local food and drink economy (support local producers, tourism and ‘sense of place’)
- Support Food and Growing schools and educational programmes
- Reduce food waste, encourage the redistribution of surplus food and fallen fruit
- Increase wider engagement with communities, integrating Food, Art and Cultural events and programmes